Outdoor fire pits are a beautiful way to maximize your enjoyment of your backyard. These attractive fire features can be installed directly on your patio or in another part of your yard and offer warmth throughout the night. If you have a fire pit in your yard, it’s important to be aware of these safety tips at all times. While fire pits seem beautiful and harmless, they do use the same fire that can burn!
Fire Pit Safety Tips
Make sure that your entire family knows the rules of the fire pit. If you have young children who might struggle to remember all of the safety tips, keep a sign posted near the back door leading to your patio for a quick reminder. Also, never allow your children or family to play with or near your fire pit, whether it is on or off.
Whenever you are using your fire pit:
- Check the wind direction before lighting a fire
- Never use flammable liquids to light a fire. Flammable liquids include gasoline, lighter fluid, and anything else designed to ignite quickly.
- Never wear flammable or loose-fitting clothing near a lit fire pit.
- Don’t use soft woods like pine or cedar in your fire pit. These soft woods pop as they burn and can throw dangerous sparks on the area surrounding your fire pit.
- Keep all children and pets at least 3 feet away from the fire pit at all times. Make it clear that the fire pit is something that they can observe from far away but never touch, run near, or play with.
- Keep your fire pit at least 10 feet away from any structures in your yard or your neighbor’s yard
- Never place your fire pit underneath low-hanging tree branches
- Never put a fire pit on grass or on a wood deck
Expert Fire Pit Installation from Edwards Lawn & Home
Edwards Lawn and Home offers comprehensive residential and commercial services to keep your property looking great all year long. Whether you want a new patio, a beautiful fire pit installation, gorgeous new wooden fencing, or a new driveway, we have the experience and skill to make it happen. If you are interested in finding out more about our services and getting a quote, contact us online or give us a call at (443) 341-6539. For more information on our services and tips and tricks, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn, YouTube, and Houzz.